Tuesday, 3 October 2017

IWSG - October - Interview with Author of Many Genres - Deniz Bevan

It is that time again, the brain-child of alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com 
a time that gives writers the chance to express and share their writing concerns with others. And this month, I am delighted to welcome a fellow author, Deniz Bevan, who has kindly agreed to tell us something about herself and the reasons she became a writer. .

Author Deniz Bevan


Thank you, Carole. I
currently live in Switzerland, and  at the time of writing this, I am editing my latest romance, a contemporary. Previous romances were all historical, so this is a new departure Previously, I have written historical and fantasy novels for middle grade and young adults: The Face of A Lion and the sequel, Out of the Water. The Face of the Lion, in the Rising Sea Series, is set in AD 42 and is about a thirteen year whose parents drag him to Turkey. Once there, he rescues a talking cat, witnesses a bloody ritual that causes two people to disappear, and is whisked back in time! 


So a complete change for me when writing my latest book for adults. 

Snippets from my latest book, part of the series The Naughty Bits, are available on my blog at http://www.thegirdleofmelian. blogspot.com 


Deniz, could you tell us who you are writing for?


Primarily for myself! I have ideas - or dream of a story  circumstance -- and then comes the drive to write down the details. I am  a pantster, mostly, which is to say that I have a vague idea of how a tale might end, and I have the original spark, which usually becomes the opening scenes. After that, I need to write the story to find out what happens! If I think too far in advance, it becomes akin to reading a spoiler about an anticipated book or film; I know what happens and don't feel the same drive to write. 
On the other hand, I try to end each writing session (whether it's been 10 minutes or 2 hours) with a question or a revelation, so that there's something exciting to come back to the next time.
 
Another question. Why do you write?


Because the ideas are there! Once I've gotten into a story, I don't feel right leaving the characters behind until I've resolved their issues and given them a happy ending.  If I feel I can't go on with a story (this hasn't happened recently but used to), I plot out an outline, so that at least I know how it ends, even if I never write it. 
I had a three-year period some time ago where the ideas dried up and inspiration failed, and it felt like losing a part of myself. I was very bereft without that wellspring of stories, and without characters and an inner world to devote attention to. 

Could you tell us where your ideas come from?

I am surprised by how many of my ideas come from dreams!  Others are from a mystery or image, such as the idea that if you walked from Kusadasi to Ephesus, and were walking back in time as you went, the sea would be following you, as it was further inland 2,000 years ago. The dreams generally involve a scene of high tension, such as a spy being uncovered or a great wave engulfing a boat, and then I need to work out who the characters are, what they were doing there, and how they will come out on the other side of the event. 
My last short story was a what if -- I was on a bus and there were only a handful of people on with me, and I wondered what would happen if there was some sort of disaster and we all had to live and survive together. But the characters took over, and it became a story about something else entirely. 
And I'm think reading a lot, especially poetry, helps, as does taking the time to let your mind wander, without staring at a screen or working all the time. Long hikes and drives are very good for that sort of thing!

Thanks so much
Deniz, wishing you every success with you new writing adventure, I'm sure it will be a success!